Monday, July 19, 2010

Lessons

I've always loved gaming. Except, of course, for those times I didn't. I remember vividly that third grade match in the school chess championship - the agony of watching my white pieces being whittled slowly down by the black; the desperate escape attempt by my wimpy king with a queen, two rooks, and a bishop in hot pursuit; and then trying to hold back the tears as my little world crumbled in checkmate. Okay, so I haven't always loved gaming. There have been times when my hatred for a game has outshone the brightness of the sun. 

But I do keep coming back. Maybe not to chess, exactly. I gravitated towards table-top role-playing games in my preadolescence, and they still thrill me after all of these years. The standard concepts of winning and loosing were thrown out the window and that old childhood idea of 'play' came back into my vocabulary. There were high and lows and successes and failures, but nothing so disheartening as a 'loss.' RPGs helped me learn to enjoy gaming for the experience itself - interacting with others, forming plans and executing them, and the excitement of not knowing the outcome to a particular decision.  

I've learned to appreciate the more competitive games. I even war-game on occasion. Nothing, however, compares to role-playing and those curious folks who enjoy it. I suppose when I'm in a nursing home I'll be drumming the halls, looking for brittle, hunched people like myself to roll dice with. That sounds like a perfect way to conclude a life of game-play.  

- Ark

2 comments:

  1. When the time comes, let me know which nursing home. I'll need players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alexis - I certainly will. Just look for the guy with the dice with magnifying lenses glued to each side. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete