Friday, January 28, 2011

Card Pimps

I shouldn't be surprised, but I seeing it here in print is like a smack in the face.  The LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS® CAMPAIGN GUIDE Version 2.0 includes the optional use of Fortune Cards.  This is not the option of the DM - no - it is the option of the players. 

You build your 'deck' almost like a Magic the Gathering deck.  Surprise surprise.  "You may have no more than one copy of any individual card (by name) per 10 cards in your deck."  Per 10 cards.  Multiples of ten.  They come it packs of 8.  So they are like hot dogs and hot dog buns - they don't match up in count.  Great.

"You must have a minimum of 3 cards of each type (Attack, Defense, Tactics) per 10 cards in your deck."  Oh just peachy.  If the booster set you buy doesn't have the right mis of types, you must buy more.  AT 50 cents a card.

THERE IS NO LIMIT ON YOUR STACK. You could have 180 cards piled up on your character sheet.

I could go on quoting the new rules, but I would vomit all over my keyboard.  It would be bad enough as a DM running a home game to suffer though the whines of the players begging to use the cards.  But in RPGA play - everyone can use them - which means that everyone will.  Except the poor shmuck in the corner without enough cash.  That little bastard has the fact that he can't afford it ground into his face. 

I should stop before I start cursing.

Damn I'm pissed.  I'm going to go chew my leg off to calm down.

- Ark

4 comments:

  1. It's like a parent with Alzheimer. We have to accept that what was, is no longer, and let go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Roger - :sigh: Yeah. I just really wasn't ready to take Old Yeller out to the back of the barn just yet. Dammit.

    But yeah - It's time.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  3. *That* is not our game. It might have the same name, and maybe a few of the same shibboleths, but it's still a world away from the game we play at the weekend.

    But in RPGA play - everyone can use them - which means that everyone will. Except the poor shmuck in the corner without enough cash. That little bastard has the fact that he can't afford it ground into his face.

    I read something to the effect that Fortune Cards were being made a mandatory part of RPGA organised play. Basically (if true), that kid who can't afford the cards; he doesn't even get to join in!

    What next? They send Boxer away to the glue factory?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chris - The RPGA was at least a place where my son and I could get together and play *some type* of game with others easily - no fuss in organizing or anything. hat is screwed up all to hell.

    Oh well - I guess the universe is telling me to get off my ass and go find some local grognads. Okay Universe, I get it, I get it.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete