Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Changes

I'm going though some changes here, so bear with me.  I've added some art that I had commissioned a while ago and didn't quite know what to do with.  Well, now I do.  (Yeah, I paid for them, so hands off.) The demonic looking guy on the title bar is by Angel Urena.  He's a great artist.  Go see his stuff here.  The poor succubus to the side was drawn by Matthew Humphreys.  His awesome gallery is over here.

Other changes are occurring in my brain takings me places I don't quite know yet.  I've been reading through the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide.  The original ones - you know - those thirty year old musty tomes.  Okay, maybe you don't.  I never thought I's say I missed AD&D.  I ran screaming from TSR in the mid 80s to other gaming systems and never looked back.  It was a bit of nostalgia that brought me to 4e, but really, the fact that it was D&D that wasn't D&D was the thing that interested me.

Hell.

I want to play D&D again.

The way I used to describe D&D to people was it was kind of like a board game but the board was in your mind.  Frankly, it's been a while since I saw a role playing game like that.  As a teenager, I used to dream of being able to afford lead minis and paint and having the skill to make them look pretty and use them in a game.  Well, dream come true - and BLEECH.  I'm rather sick of minis.  I'm sick of tiles and maps and dry erase markers.  I'm sick of fighters with spells - er -  POWERS.  I'm sick of opportunity attacks and TWO HOUR LONG COMBATS.  I'm sick of skill challenges.  I'm sick of a flat saving throw of TEN.

WHERE IS MY PAD OF BLUE LINED FOUR SQUARE AN INCH GRAPH PAPER?????

I actually understand what Zak and Jeff and Alexis and James have been moaning about with the whole Old School Renaissance thing.  Ugh.  I do.

Dear God.  Now I have to go start up a campaign, now don't I?  I have to dredge up some players who don't think I'm crazy.  I have to decided whether to use my old, musty AD&D books or hunt down some Holes or Molday or just go with something like Legend Lord.  Holy Hell, I'm going to have to READ!

Crap.

- Ark

3 comments:

  1. Yep... whatever perceived faults it may have, only real D&D is D&D, and scratches that D&D itch. I've nothing against 4E, for what it is, but it doesn't feel like playing D&D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon - Yeah - I'm beginning to get it. :) Now to play it again and see what happens.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might I suggest picking some corner of the world from my Wiki and starting there?

    ReplyDelete