Monday, January 24, 2011

Even This Guy Wears a Belt

With much joy, I found Labyrinth Lord sitting in my mailbox today.  I had expected it Saturday, but then I always forget that mail speeds seem to slow dramatically in January, as compared to December.  I suppose it's when all of the post office's seasonal employees are laid off.

Sitting here holding the book, I find that I am happier with it than most of my RPG purchases over the last few years.  So often I'm flipping through a new book and thinking "Dear God what the hell did I just buy, and why the hell did I buy this?"  This one is still bringing a smile to my face. 

It's much nicer than I thought.  I've never bought anything through Lulu, and am surprised.  I swear, the binding even looks like it will not splinter into a thousand pieces if I open the book up wide.  The art is cooler than I thought it would be, and it is so much damn easier that reading the pdf.   And what I have read seems to be clearing up misconceptions and confusions that I've had with D&D for 30 years now.  I think I have a winner here.

The boy is tucked in his bed reading a tattered copy of The Hobbit.  I think I shall grab some ice cream and apple cobbler, retreat into my bedroom, and devour Labyrinth Lord.  Oh, and maybe the cobbler and ice cream too.

- Ark

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good night! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be a dumb question, but did you ever read the Moldvay basic rules LL is based on? I ask because I had a similar experience when I first did - clearing up so much of what I'd always been puzzled about with AD&D, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @christian - Yes, it's a very good read. Thanks!

    @Anonymous - Yup, I read Moldvay - but I actually started on Holmes. LL has cleared up a lot. You question has got my mind going and I'll devote an entire post to topic here as soon as I can finish the book. Thanks for asking.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete