Thursday, January 20, 2011


Alexis over at the Tao of D&D set up a wiki a while ago called The Same Universe which is "an experiment in virtual world construction."  I think it's a cool concept and have offered up some maps, just in case that is the kind of thing he is interested in.  I am not 100% sure that it is, but that's what I've got.

Hopefully the image to the right is changing, but not too annoying.  It's a part of the world of Bristia.  I drew the outlines many years ago with an actual pen and ink.  Bristia is a world that has one season every 365 days.  The long winters cause the poles to freeze up, forming ice caps which melt during the spring.  The coastline is under constant change, which the animated gif hopefully is depicting right now.

This four year long seasonal cycle creates havoc with anyone trying to live a normal life.  The winters are extremely dry, turning most of the the inland areas to desert.  The summers obliterate any previously existing coastline.  Permanent agriculture is impossible.  Groups fight for land that they leave one season and want to return to the next.  Imagine ancient inland empires needing to reply on magic and careful water management to survive the winters.

Bristia is a place of constant change where thousands of years of failed empires crumble beneath the feet of the inhabitants.  Flash foods caused by glacial melting can be as dangerous as the monsters that roam the land.  Plants have developed unique strategies of surviving, including burrowing, locomotion, and big sharp pointy teeth.

I'm done with Bristia.  It was fun, but I'm on to other things.  I've cleaned up the maps of place names and other doodles and will be offering them to whoever wants them.  My hope is someone may fiddle with a campaign there, filling in the blank areas with cultures and cities and dungeons galore.  If not, that's okay too.  But at least they are out there and not molding in my drawer.

They are not really pretty or anything, but they are functional for a strange world with a seasonal dysfunction.  I'll make them available at a printable dpi level format one way or another, I'm just not sure what form that will take yet. 

Oh, and I've been meaning to mention this for a while now.  George over at Legends and Labyrinths had been looking for some help with his map.  I enjoy projects like that, so I fired up Hexographer, and made him a shiny new one

If you are interested in having a map Hexographered into something vaguely resembling the old Greyhawk maps, let me know.  I don't promise anything - but it's the kind of thing I like to do.  For free.  Yeah, I'm a sucker for latitude and longitude and compass roses.

- Ark

No comments:

Post a Comment