Thursday, February 10, 2011

And a Star to Sail Her By

I ran a 4e campaign for almost two years called Sea of Tears.  The idea behind it was that an entire continent had sunk 100 years previously and there were only mountaintops above the waves.  Kind of like a D&D Waterworld, without Kevin Costner.  Ships and boats were very important, and the surviving halfling population, deprived of their forested lowland hills (or their natural habitat per 4e - rivers) had become the masters of the waves.

I found a folder cache of my stuff from the campaign.  I forgot that I had created ship layouts for use with miniatures.  Apparently I was pretty proud of them since I pdfed the thee pages of maps and scrawled name all over.  I submit them to you for your use in wherever a boat or small ship map would be appropriate.  What I did was to print out the maps and glue them to card-stock, then cut them out and had pirate attacks!  Follow the link here. Oh, and they look lousy in Google Docs, so after clicking the link, you'll need to click File and then click Download Original, and then open with that Adobe thingy.

- Ark

 (Check out the rest of the Sea of Os'r Project over at the Lands of Ara.)

5 comments:

  1. Very cool! I will definitely be using these for airship templates for my Islands in the Sky campaign! Your idea reminds me a lot of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. That was pretty much the premise of that game. That game alone is worth picking up an old Gamecube for. Your son will love it; mine does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sully - I'm glad you can use them. I've heard of Wind Walker but haven't seen it. That good, eh? Hmm. Gamecube stuff works on a WII, don't it? Hmmmm. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gamecube games are fully playable on the Wii, as the Wii is really just a Gamecube with an extra processor :) just make sure you have a gamecube controller and memory card. And yeah, it is that good. Hours of exploration and enjoyment, fantastic dungeons, cool graphics. Classic Zelda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the boat templates. I've been scouring the internets for some that aren't all Spelljammery with very little luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sully - Well, the Boy and I did like Zelda on the ancient N64, so I think you just sold us.

    @biopunk - That is so awesome. I'm glad the templates will go to good homes. When I was needing some, I couldn't find any either - so I had to drag out Adobe Illustrator and figure out some things. Since then, I've seen that Games Mastery sells a pretty nifty Boats and Ships Map Pack, but the templates I made were all that I ever needed. The Games Mastery stuff is much prettier, though.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete