Friday, February 18, 2011

And They Say 'Geek'

I was driving my son to school, and suddenly remembered something important from the night before.

"Do you remember Beedo?  He had talked about starting up a blog for his boy when you set yours up?"

"Uh-huh," he nodded, confused that I had switched from the lecture on cleaning the bathroom to blogging all of a sudden.

"Well, his son is posting on his very own blog now.  I emailed you the link last night."

"Oh cool," he smiled.

"They have a game where there are a bunch of kids and a bunch of dads play D&D."

His looked at me, "Can we play with them?"

I took a deep breath, "They are not around here.  They are in Canada or Mongolia or someplace.  I'm not sure where, but not close."

"Oh," he looked down at the floorboard in the car.

"But we could set something up like that.  Are any of the kids in your school interested in fantasy stuff?"

"No, he said, looking out the window, "I say 'Dungeons and Dragons' and they say 'Geek.'

"Is there something wrong with being called a geek?"

"Yeah."

I sighed.  "You know, people who use words that they think are an insult to you were not your friends to begin with."

"It's not people that I know really well that say it," he shrugs.

We do the school drop off thing and on my way home, I begin to think about the day before.  My boss was in town with a bunch of other manager and executive types.  A group of us go to lunch and for some reason the topic moves to Star Wars and I express that my favorite Star Wars movie is The Empire Strikes Back

My boss pops up that he preferred the stories when Han and Leia had kids.

Thinking for a second, I cock my head and reply, "You mean the ones with Admiral Thrawn?"

He points at me with a smile and says, "Yeah!"  Then he immediately looks embarrassed and covered his mouth.  "I shouldn't talk about things like that.  People will think I am a geek."

Too late, dude, too late.

I sighed.

- Ark

3 comments:

  1. Hey, nothing wrong with being a geek. I just got called that at work the other day. You know ... I really don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Whisk - Yeah! Geeks of the world unite!

    I try to fully embrace my geekosty/nerdardness as much as possible. I wish others could do so as well, but I understand. Sort of. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  3. just got to say, iv just got a job with the geek squad, as a counter intellignece agent, i have an 18 month old little girl, where can i buy mini black clip on ties!

    this picture/story made my day!

    ReplyDelete