Saturday, February 5, 2011

Darmok and Jalad

When I'm creating a campaign world, there are many random, haphazard ways I begin.  The world that I am working on now popped into my head while reading Labyrinth Lord.  Half-baked bits and pieces swirled together until I could see clearly enough to identify a theme.  To hell with a world based in any sort of reality.  Toss my decades of study on ancient civilizations out the window.  Base a world on D&D.  Not on any particular D&D world form TSR or WotC, but take the props, take the mechanics, and craft a world that makes sense. 

So, the world has lots of places for the PCs to go and get experience points, instead of lots of places to go buy mead and torches and doorknobs and palantirs.  I think this is a completely new paradigm I am dealing with here.  For me, at least.  I think some other people may have worked this way for a while.

Enjoy the map.   I'm slowly zooming into what I intend to be the main campaign area.  I've discovered that some guys from my old 4e group are interested in flying in the wayback machine, so I may need to zoom faster.  But what is displayed is a closer view of the Gulf of Labrys Basin.

Click to em . . . make bigger.  You'll notice that I was watching Star Trek while drawing the map - a very dangerous prospect indeed.

Oh, the boy was drawing his own map as I was drawing mine.  We'll get it up on his blog tomorrow probably.  It completely rocks.

- Ark


8 comments:

  1. Base a world on D&D. Not on any particular D&D world form TSR or WotC, but take the props, take the mechanics, and craft a world that makes sense.

    IIRC there were attempts to extrapolate from the mechanics for later iterations of D&D. Thanks to the linear warrior, quadratic wizard power progression inherent to the game you basically ended up with something like "Dark Sun": wizard kings and theocrats despotically ruling city states of cowering lowbie peons. Worked for me; that's been the political norm of my games for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what an episode to watch when working on a map! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chris - Hmm. I was forgetting about the wizards. Thumbing through the spells, it's awfully hard not the stare at "Wish" without having my jaw hit the floor. Yeah, that could get abused - especially by NPCs. :) Hmm - so much for classical feudalism.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  4. @David - Thank you. I have to watch D&J any time it comes on. Federal law and such. Same thing goes with Picard's flute episode. (I'm sure it has a proper name, but I am a lazy fan.)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just watching that D&J episode last night. I love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Knighthawk - I assume you were watching it on BBCAmerica at the same time. I think BBCAmerica thinks they own Patrick Stewart or something. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Inner Light.

    I don't have cable, just my DVD collection and Netflix, but I'm pretty sure that I've watched D&J and the Inner Light more often than any other TNG episode.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are two of the very best episodes, after all.

    Very nice, Arkhein.

    ReplyDelete