Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fish in the Sea

Today my son asked me when I was going to sign us up for the Living Forgotten Realms games happening this weekend.  I came clean with him.  I told him that with the RPGAs inclusion of Fortune Cards in the LFR campaign, we would no longer be playing.  I could no longer support an organization that ran a role playing game where you could get additional character benefits the more cash you shelled out.

He went to his room and cried.

I hate Hasbro and WotC and the RPGA for forcing that decision on me.  But it is my decision, and I stand by it.

My son eventually calmed down and we had a deeper discussion about rightness and wrongness and fairness and treating people with respect.  There are many more gamers outside the RPGA than inside.  We will find more people to play with.  And there is a nearly endless variety of games to play.

I do realize game designers' families gotta eat.  I do not think this is the right way to go about it.  But it's not my company - and I can walk away.

We are now deciding what do on the weekend.  The Superbowl is here, so there is no point in even trying to drive on that roads Saturday or Sunday, so it's a good time to stay in.  He's thinking about it and will get back with me later. :)

Stay warm.

- Ark

5 comments:

  1. If you like the more modern games, I think Paizo does organized play for Pathfinder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I hadn't thought of that. That is something to think about. Pathfinder has been on my mind actually.

    I'm still on the fence about Pathfinder. I remember thumbing though one of the books and thinking "Gee, it's just like D&D, but it handy book format!" But then there were those stat blocks and freaky 3.5 mechanics that I know absolutely nothing about, aside from my experience with Star Wars SAGA edition.

    The proffered theory that Pathfinder is OD&D's rightful successor whispers in my ear heavily.
    But then I see the thick pile of splat books and it scares me into thinking that I should wait for Pathfinder v2.0 when they start all over again.

    Thanks for the info. It gives me another avenue to explore.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're looking for games, I'd give meetup.com a try and see if they have something cooking in your neck of the woods. I use it to organize my 1E game here in New Jersey and it's working great. Found a bunch of terrific new players that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ark,

    Thanks for following me. I would like to join Matt in recommending Pathfinder, in my opinion the rules and the setting are both excellent. Also the online SRD is a great resource, I used it for awhile before committing to get any of the books and was able to lean the rules right there.

    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

    hope that's of some interest to you,cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Joseph I'm in the North Texas region. Thanks for the pointer. There apparently is an old school gamer group meeting up in a couple of weeks. It just started. Looks like there is a tremor in the force - like a million 4e'ers crying out and suddenly becoming old schoolers again. :)

    @Pierce - How dare you give me more options. Dangit. Now I gotta go read this SRD thingy. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete