Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giant Poop Machine

Sometimes I think that Lulu has the slowest shipping in the universe.  The wait for a Lulu book seems excruciating - and that is after I'm done twiddling my thumbs while they print the damn thing.  Where are they mailing this stuff from?  Abu Dhabi?  Not that I'll pay any extra for faster shipping, but you know, it's something to bitch about on a slow day.

So I finally got my copy of The Dungeon Alphabet.  I actually got two copies.  This was by accident.  God help me if I ever order a car on line.  I'll end up with 7.5 metallic puce Honda Accords.

I really had no idea what to expect from Michael Curtis' book.  Plenty of people raved about it, but I didn't see really any good explanations about what the hell it was.  I really figured it was like a kindergarten alphabet book, with D&D monsters in the shape of letters.  Actually, that picture in my head was enough for me to plunk down the cash.

So, it turns out not to be Sesame Street meets Gary Gygax.  Oh well. (I would still by a Sesame Street Meets Gary Gygax book, though - hint hint.)  But what it is is actually awesome.  It's basically randomized lists for all sorts of things - perfect for the gaming table or just to read through.  I was having my son pick random numbers and reading off the entries.  He loved it.

And the art - it's great.  Most of it is by the D&D artists of old.  Even Erol Otus' giant poop machine picture is fabulous - once you get over the shock of what you are seeing.  The boy, of course, loved that one too.   The look and the feel of the book is just - wow.  It's well worth twice the price - which - um - is what I paid for it.  Ooops.  :)

So go get it.

- Ark

7 comments:

  1. Funny Lego. Your book came in the mail. Woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Thank you again for buying a copy.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't buy it hard copy in the UK, as far as I can make out. Not without horrendous postal charges. Disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jovial - That is a bummer. I checked a few UK outlets and none seem to have them in stock - but these guys have them on order -> http://www.iguk.co.uk/products/dungeon-alphabet-9844.aspx

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, that's odd. Personally, I never had problems with Lulu, shipping or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anon - Well, they have never gone over their 5-15 day shipping time, but they have come dang close to 14 days many times.

    I'm probably just spoiled, as several people I have bought minis from on ebay have consistently gotten me the package in less that 36 hours with standard shipping from 2,000 miles away. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete