Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hex on the Borderlands

Okay, so yeah, this is a crappy scan from a crappy print of a crappy scan.  But that isn't the point.  What is the point that the map is serviceable

If you've ever wanted to dove-tail the Wilderness Map from Dungeon Module B2: The Keep on the Borderlands into your campaign, here is your leg up.  The purple sharpie lines form standard 6 mile hexes.

I'm going to be starting up my Labyrinth Lord campaign this weekend, and I'm using the venerable Keep as the starting place.  I have no idea whether I'll use the caves, though.  Probably not.  I'm all into this randomly generated wilderness encounter thing right now - thus the hexification.

So, the theory is you can start with Gygax's Borderlands map and extend it off into any direction with liberal application of dice and terrain tables.  You just need to transfer the puppy to a hex map.  Hexographer is wonderful for such work.
 
Down here is the Keep on the Borderlands Hexographericated.  Isn't it cute.  Okay, no, not all blown up like this.  Looks much better smaller.  Oh well.

You know, Gary never mentioned the name of that road, that I recall, but I hear the locals call it the Reden Rot Road.  They say that  a couple of hexes to the east lies the Lascon Thickets.  Hmm.  I bet some adventure lurks over there.

I guess I should get some hex paper for the players.  Not that they'll use it - but it's a perfect opportunity to say 'I told you so.'  :)

- Ark

5 comments:

  1. That's some pretty groovy work, there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted a hex map of that.

    I lurves me some hex maps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hexographericated

    I said that out loud as "hex-o-gra-pher-MER-cated".

    Mercator projection + Hexographer = Win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm some of those names sound familiar...ha. Sounds like a great place to start and a lot of fun. Good luck with your game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jeff.

    Evan - Well there you go - use the map it at your leisure. :)

    Yanno, biopunk, I'm going to have to start pronouncing it that way.

    I thought you might recognize them, Tim. Thanks.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete