Monday, March 21, 2011

A Hex on You

I was bumming around Half Price Books this weekend.  In the gaming section, I spied something with my little eye; a mess of tall, skinny, funny shaped boxes in the board games section.

It looked like some variation of scrabble.  Lexigo was the name.  Not exactly my cup of tea, but for some reason I could not avert my gaze. 

The back of the box claimed the game came with 100 hex shaped tiles. 

My mind exploded with possibilities.  I've been having a lot of fun with hex-based wilderness adventures using random land type tables.  The tiles had a blank white side.  I could draw land markings with dry erase on the back of the tiles and build a map right before the player's eyes.

I grabbed the game.  For less than seven dollars, it was a steal.

It even comes with a giant black 'dice bag' for all 100 tiles.

The plastic tiles look good and are nice and heavy.  No cheapo crap plastic here.  The big problem is that when you write on them with either dry erase or wet erase, it doesn't completely erase.  Not great for my original idea.

However, one could easily use a sharpie or acrylic paint to mark what type of land the tile represents.  And heck, you could just prepare all the tiles and draw them randomly from the bag, rather than rolling a die, then drawing the tile.  It would be easier that way.

So I'm excited.  I think this would be a cool doo-dad for wilderness adventurers.  I could even have the players draw the landforms from the bag as they explore.

Another thought struck me.  You could use this bag selection process for important random events as well - having the letters act as indicators.  I worked out percentages based on tile frequency.  Here is an example:

Tile # % Magic Weapon
[blank] 4 4% Callandor
A 8 8% Glamdring
B 2 2% Spear of Lugh
C 2 2% Tizona
D 4 4% Gáe Bulg
E 11 11% Fragarach
F 2 2% Mjolnir
G 3 3% Sting
H 2 2% Narsil
I 9 9% Axe of the Dwarvish Lords 
J 1 1% Clarent
K 1 1% Stormbringer
L 4 4% Hrunting
M 2 2% Grayswandir
N 6 6% Mournblade
O 8 8% Excalibur
P 2 2% Sword of Martin
Q 1 1% Anaklusmos
R 6 6% Joyeuse
S 4 4% Kusanagi
T 6 6% Zulfiqar
U 4 4% Orcrist
V 2 2% Broken Sword of Stubbing
W 2 2% Umbrella
X 1 1% Golf Club
Y 2 2% A Stick
Z 1 1% Air Guitar

So, looks like I'm going to have some type of fun with these tiles, even if it wasn't the original method intended by the creator. :)

- Ark


  1. That is very cool! Having the players actually get to draw definitely will give them more a feel of being in control of what they get, even if its still really just as random as a d100 roll.

  2. As far as I can tell, your table is the solution to all the applications:

    A's are arable land, B's are Badlands, C's Creeks, D's Deserts, etc.

  3. Is the game good?
    you outside-of the-box-thinker you...

  4. @Sully - I hope the player enjoy it. Thanks. Yeah, it should give a much different feel.

    @Timeshadows - You know, that is even better. Now I need to grab a thesaurus!

    @Lasgunpacker and PenDRaGoN - Okay, okay, to answer that burning question, I grabbed the boy nd we have played the game. Actually, I like ti a lot better than scrabble. There is no fiddly point scoring - first person to run out of tiles wins. However, it is far more challenging than I thought. I definitely strains the brain as you try to wrap words in multiple directions around in your head. So far, the boy and I have not finished a game yet, but we plan on it soon. It takes longer than I had planned. A game is probably in the 30 minutes to and hour range. So far, it's a heck of a lot better than I expected, and I would recommend it. I might have to even by one whole set just to play with, and another to paint on. :) Um, and another one so that the boy can build strange hexagonal cityscapes for his lego men to attack.

    - Ark