Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homeschooling

Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men go awry and you end up with mouse pellets in your mashed potatoes.  We are home schooling the Boy now.  I had hoped things could be worked out at the public school, but despite a lot of effort, nothing changed and the bullying continued.  People can suck.

So the Baby Momma and I were discussing curriculum and teaching tools and got on the subject of math.  My eyes brightened.

"Do you know what they are selling as teaching aides?  It's a product called 'Math Dice.'  They come in all different sizes, like fours and sixes and eights and tens and twelves and twenties.  The student can roll up numbers and use them to create math problems on the fly.  The dice look remarkably like the Boy's D&D dice.  In fact, they are exactly like them!" I grinned and wiggled the empty fake Tupperware sandwich meat holder thingy that happened to be crammed packed with the Boy's dice on the kitchen table.

Baby Momma looked at me as if that was the most insane and nerdiest thing I had ever said.  Not even close.  The conversation moved on.

Later one morning I'm telecommuting at my desk while she and the Boy are in the middle of lessons at the kitchen table.

"It's math time," she said and pulled out a sheet of blank paper.  "I'm going to write down some problems and you can work them out."

She stared at the blank paper, as if taking in the complete and total blankness of it all.  It was very blank.  She looked up at the Boy.

"Go get your dice."

"Woohoo!" he ran off to get them.

I . . . yeah . . . hmm . . . never mind.

:)

- Ark

14 comments:

  1. I'm annoyed and angry by proxy at your son's school situation. I wish you the best of luck in the daunting task of homeschooling. I suppose there is a bright side in that you'll have curriculum control (and obviously no bully issues). Still, I wish had ended differently for you folks. I support public schooling but public schooling clearly failed you. :(

    But hey, those math dice are nifty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullying makes you feel so powerless as a parent, I'm glad you guys have found a way to beat it.

    My gaming group includes a family with several home-schooled kids. When the father saw how passionate the kids were with D&D, especially in comparison to their school work, he half-seriously joked about designing a syllabus based on the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of us, one of us, one of us! (Oh, that shouldn't be out loud, should it?)

    Seriously, I'll drop you a line, glad to share some notes about the home schooling experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your son getting bullied... Public schools can be a terrible place and I wish you all the best when it comes to homeschooling. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought these for homeschooling my son as well. Homeschooling is a great adventure, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We started homeschooling our children last August and it has gone very well. Our decision wasn't based on any bullying issues, but more because the local public school district is pretty crappy and we couldn't afford to keep them in parochial school. It's been quite a trip! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An RPG supported curriculum has been on my mind... treasure hunting to teach geography, dungeon delving to teach math, time travel adventures to teach history and later free trading the spacelanes for politics and economics.

    And best of luck with the homeschooling—I'm sure he'll enjoy an education focused on the highest-common-denominator for a change.
    ~V~

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Whisk and Bliss - Thanks, yup, dice and school, all at the same time!

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Risus - Thanks man, the last few years have been a pain with school - ever since they began to expect the students to fit into their designated Stepford molds. The boy ain't gonna fit, and he ain't even gonna pretend to fit - so he will always be a target. Taking him out of public school has been like a . . . well, it's like a huge weight has been lifted off of all of us.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  10. @austrodavicus - Yeah, it is pretty power-sucking. I've had fantasies of chasing school-kids down alleys with a brick-bat. Alas,, I do not have a brick-bat, so that option is out. Oh well. A course based around D&D would be great. The section of randomity, statistics, and bell-curves alone would make for a great fun. Okay, to me, at least. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Beedo - No - not out loud. Whiiiiisper. :) Thanks, man, we could use any tips you got.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  12. (I get the feeling that I am spamming email boxes, so I'll cluster.)

    @Zombie - Thanks. I never did like public schools when growing up. I went to private schools as well and frankly, it wasn't much better. I always felt like we were cattle being moved from one pen to the next.

    @sycarion - I have all the dice - I'd like to see what the activities are that go with them. :)

    @Sully - Thanks. Funny - we moved to this school district because of the good school. Didn't know it came with bullying - no extra charge.

    @Anon - That's a pretty good idea. Hmm. You know, you got something there. That could be extremely awesome.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete