Saturday, April 16, 2011

. . . But You Can't Pick Your Friend's Nose

Wow.

I am rather overwhelmed at the response. Who knew there was such a huge, swollen balloon of hidden angst about lock-picking waiting to explode with a simple little prick? I guess I was the prick.

[Watches a tumbleweed roll by as he awaits his rim-shot. Only silence.  Oh well.]

Excellent stuff, excellent stuff. Thanks a whole lot, folks. I was sitting here without an answer, and now I have a truck load of answers. Now to sort through them all and start play-testing.

To my knowledge, the following blog posts, or their comments, have addressed the lock pick/trap disarm added fun value question.  If there are any others, please let me know so I can peruse their wisdom:


Wouldn't it be cool is doctors and pharmaceutical companies had blogs? Some Endocrinologist could pop up and say "You know, this AIDS things suck. Anybody got a cure?" And then 500 bloggers would descend and formulate not only one cure, but 501 viable variations.

Okay, at least I can dream.

The boy has some concerns, though. He thinks that dice or flowcharts may not be the best way to open a lock. He told me - with a serious face and everything - that dynamite would be the best method.

- Ark

3 comments:

  1. Nah, dynamite's too noisy, bring the grue. Give him these vortex eggs. Stand back, chuck one, and anything in five feet of where it breaks get's sucked to a different dimension . . . silently. Course, you have to be careful carrying them around, wouldn't want one to break in combat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I arrived a little late to the party, but some additional ideas about how to meld some of the interesting BURP flavor (umm...) with a simpler skill resolution system are here:
    http://servitorludi.blogspot.com/2011/04/homebrew-82-forestalling-failures.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Telecanter - Thaaanks. Now Ferrit is on a quest to find VORTEX EGGS. Little does he know, however, that they are guarded by the grue. :)

    @Cygnus - Cool beans! It's never too late for a party!

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete