Monday, April 18, 2011

NTRPGCON and Golf Ball Sized Hail

So I registered for my events at NTRPGCON last week.


Cyclopeatron's blog post reminded me.  I had intended on staying up till midnight and signing up.  The thunderstorms rolled in that evening, however.  The golf-ball sized hail smashed the windshield of my car and knocked out power in my neighborhood until the wee hours of the morning - long after I had passed out on the floor next to my computer, surrounded by candles, in a pool of drool, waiting and hoping for power so I could sign up to play D&D with Erol Otus.

I woke up late for work and in that fluster-cluck of a morning, I forgot to sign up until Cyclopeatron reminded me with his post later that day.  Piss. No Erol Otus game. :(

But in it's own Taoist way, the universe has handed the boy and I the perfect NTRPGCON schedule.

Evening - URUTSK!

After reading Timeshadows' blog for a bit, I still have no idea what the heck UTURSK is, but it seems so cool and mysterious.   I look forward to it.


Morning - ???

Okay, this one is a little confusing.  The description block goes something like this:

Game Title : ???
Game System : Eldritch Entertainment
Number of Players : 4-6
Pregens/Level of Characters: ?? /??
World Setting: ??
Short Description: ??

Normally, I would have walked on by this one.  However, the name at the top was James M. Ward.  I couldn't get into his Metamorphosis Alpha game.  I think sitting with his for a few hours would be cool all by itself - even if the only thing he did was fold napkins or try to sell me a time-share in Hot Springs, Arkansas.  But a little research told me that Eldritch Entertainment is some kind of start up by Frank Mentzer, Chris Clark, Tim Kask, Jim Ward.  Well.  Again, I don't know what the heck this is, but it kind of sounds like the boy and I get to be guinea pigs for, in the words of Dave Bowman, "Something Wonderful."

Afternoon - ART!

The boy and I get to watch Erol Otus, Paul Jaquays, Jeff Dee, and Jason Braun draw for an hour.  I mean, how cool is that?  To answer my own question - that is BOOYA cool.

Evening - Frank Mentzer

Gaming with Frank.  Nuff said?


Saturday is psycho hectic day.  At least for everybody else.  I only scheduled one thing up.  While everyone else is flitting around like crazy, I'm gonna bum around the vendor stalls and pretend I picked up smoking again and find old grognards to hang out with in the parking lot.  I did schedule one thing:

Afternoon - Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game

I think this means that Harley Stroh is going to be play testing the new DCC RPG from Goodman Games.  I hadn't even heard of the product until I saw it mentioned on George Strayton's blog.  Seems like it might be pretty cool.  I get he feeling that the boy is going to like it a whole heck of a lot.  Luckily I have a set of Zocchi dice.

As an aside - have you seen the artists who have worked on the DCC RPG book?  Jeff Easley, Jason Edwards, Tom Galambos, Friedrich Haas, Jim Holloway, Doug Kovacs, Diesel Laforce, William McAusland, Brad McDevitt, Jesse Mohn, Peter Mullen, Erol Otus, Stefan Poag, Jim Roslof, Chad Sergesketter, Chuck Whelon, and Mike Wilson.  Even if the game blows, it would probably be worth it for the art alone!  Holy moly.


Morning - OD&D + Spelljammer + Cyclopeatron

I really can't think of a better way to wrap the Con up than with Ochre Jelly in Outer Space and Dave Areson's fashion twin.  Can you?

Let's just hope their are no thunderstorms concealing golfball sized hail over the weekend.  But we'll be safe.  We never have thunderstorms during the spring in Texas.


- Ark


  1. Wow, sorry about the car! Did the hail dent it all up too? This post was a wake up call for me to put the Gamestorm Convention on my calendar for next year. Not a lot of old school play going on there, but it's fairly close to me.

  2. I hope the wind-shield gets replaced without hassle. :(

    Urutsk! :D
    --Glad to have you. :D
    ---Looking forward to it. :)

  3. Looks like a great schedule even without Otus! I too am very curious about the Eldritch Entertainment event - I wish there were more details.

    I'm looking forward to seeing you at the table Thursday and Sunday! I'm very psyched about Timeshadow's Urutsk game!

  4. Sorry guys but that's what Jim Ward gave us...which tells me he hasn't decided what he wants to run yet. I guess we'll know when we get there!

  5. @Zombie - Crazy . . . crazy like a fox! Or something like that. Yeah, it was nuts.

    @ze bulette - Not really much denting at all. The car is old and has been through a lot, so it's kind of hard to tell. :) Maybe you can find some old school people at the convention?

    @Timeshadows - Thanks. Yes - I am all excited. So, I got a question - how should I pronounce Urutsk? Is it like OO-ROOT-SK or UH-RUH -TSK? Or something completely different?

    @cyclopeatron - Yes - I think it is going to be a most excellent event. Thanks for running.

    @Badmike - Hey - no problem - if Jim Ward just decides to read the dictionary during the time, I'll be there. :)

    - Ark

  6. "OO-ROOT-SK" is close.

    "Ur-Oot-Sk" with 'Ur' as the ancient city. :D

  7. Golf balls can be very expensive, but these guys are not ideal for beginners. As a beginner you will not be able to appreciate the quality that makes a golf ball comparison. You miss its torque rolls, seam movement and more. This is why golf balls for beginners should be cheap and replaceable.

  8. Golf game with the ranking system recycled you assured of quality Grade A recycled balls such as Bridgestone Tour B330 There is no doubt that when you have the right golf ball you will surely be a great match. And who says it must be cheap and new With Bridgestone not only lets you recover a good quality ball.