Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Awful Green Things From Outer Space

There were a lot of strange games advertised in the first decade of Dragon Magazine.  I think I wanted every single one of them at that point.  Steve Jackson must know this, of course, because when I walked into FLGS on Friday, The Awful Green Things From Outer Space was staring at me, straight in the face.

I remember thinking about the game a lot as a kid.  I imagined what it would be like, and even fashioned a Star Frontiers adventure after my impressions.  It wasn't like I ever hoped to own it - or even play it.  West Texas just really wasn't awash in 'gaming product,' even though I knew Steve Jackson was sitting in Austin being raided daily by the FBI for committing bizarre Illuminati hacking conspiracies.  Or whatever the hell that was about.  So, it was just a pipe dream.

Then I was holding it in my hands. 


Steve Jackson got more of my money yesterday.  He's never let me down - but - well - I know he does produce lemons and was worried.  I still have no idea.  The boy didn't look too impressed, so I haven't got to take it out for a spin yet.  But I'm ready.  Look at the photo!  I'm ready, dammit! :)

(Pewter raptors and skeleton army not included - I was just getting ready for THE RAPTURE.)

- Ark


  1. Play it already!

    I've been looking at getting it.

    And, I too, have been waiting for THE RAPTORS...

  2. I love this game... very beer and pretzels but very fun. Just a hint... the crew almost always dies!


    If you have the right sort of quirky sense of humour, you'll love it.

    Oh, and never underestimate the awesome power of the fire extinguisher.

    Although, yes, the crew nearly always dies. But what a feeling when they win!

  4. Wow, total blast from the past -- I used to love this game. Where my copy went, I have no idea.

  5. Ark -- it's CRAZY FUN. Play It!!!

    If you get a chance, watch GREEN SLIME, the 1968 movie that inspired it, beforehand - but it's crazy crazy fun.

  6. @All - UPDATE: I did get to play it finally. The boy took the Things and I took the crew. The combatants all piled up into the central corridor and attacked each other until the boy felt the Things were about to all die and he forfeited. He said he liked it, but I haven't been able to convince him to play again.

    So, any suggestions on how to prevent it from becoming a game against two incredibly tall stacks of cardboard squares? Yeah yeah, spread out, I imagine - but is there any advantage to doing so?

    - Ark

  7. Did the GreenThings lay any eggs on the outside of the ship? That's one thing that can make things a little crazier as far as advantage for the Things player.