Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Old School Runs!

The idea was simple - draw a little picture of some adventurers in the 'School House Rock' style, akin to the whole Old School Rocks image I drew a while ago.  It's taken me weeks and I've pulled out lots of hair.  It makes me envy artists who can spit out cartoons like a faucet - such as Ed Chase

As I was drawing, inspiration came from Bard, who mentioned that OSR should stand for 'Oh Shit, Run!.'  (Though he was cooth enough to asterisk out the nasties.)  I thought that was fabulous.  While some may not OSR that way, I certainly enjoy that style.

I finally finished it, so here is the picture.  Enjoy.

Click to embiggen.

- Ark

10 comments:

  1. @Zombie - Back to when men where brave enough to wear purple robes in public? :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, hope the hair grows back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ark, what is that Font? I love it. It looks like the old Educational Cartoon Commercials (can't remember the name of them)

    Love the picture too, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...so this is what "running" old school means. That's how I remember the entire Against the Giants series: running.

    Another fun illustration, Ark.

    Malakor: You mean Schoolhouse Rock?

    {Word verification: Faster!}

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really fun. You should do a guest strip of House Rulz. (New strip online today - shameless plug).

    Seriously though, this is a really fun drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Theodric. .. Yes! Schoolhouse Rock, that's the one. I remember it peripherally from when my kids were small. Thanks for the memory jog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Saxon - Our poor theif wouldn't want to be recognized, now would he? :)

    @Telecanter - Yes, I can feel my scalp tingling already! Thanks.

    @Malakor - Like Theo, yeah, it's from School House Rock. I just eyeballed the original stuff and drew it over and over until it looked right. I never could find a bonifide font for it. Thanks.

    @Theo - Yeah - 'running' old school. :) I appreciate the kind words.

    @House_Rulz - Thank you for the offer! If you are ready for a lead time of 6 months for a four panel strip, then count me in. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, at least yours would be in color.

    ReplyDelete