Sunday, June 5, 2011

Get Thee To A Convention

As I sit here, winding down from three days of convention going and getting ready for a fourth, my mind keeps on going back to the huge joy it has been, meeting people like Jim Ward, Tim Kask, Erol Otus, Frank Mentzer, Jeff Dee, Paul Jaquays, and Dennis Sustare.  These were people I knew as a child - I knew them from their words and art and designs.  I knew them, but I never really met them.

With the smiles also comes the sighs that this is my first RPG convention.  I am kicking myself that I never went out to meet Gary Gygax or Dave Arneson or Eric Holmes or Jim Roslof or the many others who contributed to the early days of rpgs and have passed on.

Go to a convention - these smaller conventions especially.  Meet these people.  Meet the other game designers and publishers who are following in their footsteps.  Go meet an ocean of people who love rpgs as much as you do.  It's well worth it.

- Ark

6 comments:

  1. Well said -- I am going to meet Elminster in August at OSRCon!

    http://osrcon.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/elminsters-adventure/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and gratitudes to Ark and Son for playing in my game on Sat. Hope you both had a good time!

    //H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. :)

    Christina and I say hello to both you and K.
    --Great gaming with you both in those games! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Carter - You lucky dog you! I'm jeeeaaalooouuusss.

    @Grimbones - Oh yes, a completely awesome time. Thanks for running! And check out the post following this one if you have time. :)

    @Timeshadows - Well hey to you and Christina! It was an absolute hoot - it certainly wouldn't have been the same without ya'll. The Boy says hi too. Sorry to have interrupted the game with Jeff Dee. Were ya'll playing V&V or something?

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great that you guys got to meet each other and have fun. Cool beaners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Whisk - It was really great - thanks. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete