Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Not Amused Door is Not Amused

My brain is still fried from a combination of NTRPGCON and a rather mean attempt by my employer to make me work when I'd rather be battling intergalactic space dragons from the planet Wurble. But I did manage to download the DCC Beta and give it a look-over.

I'm still mulling it over, but I like everything I've seen so far. The mechanics look cool - the art is awesome - and the ideas are great. Each little piece seems wonderful. My big concern is how it all fits together.

One of the ideas that seems to freak many people out is how you start the game. Each player makes 2 to 4 ZERO level characters with no skill, talent, or useful equipment whatsoever. Then these poor shmucks are tossed into an abattoir for an intro adventure. Then whatever chunks that get spat out of other end of the slaughterhouse that are still ambulatory get to become professional first level characters.

This horrifies the hell out of some commentators. I think it is glorious. In my head I am imagining it as a fantasy version of the game PARANOIA.

I mean, isn't that was D&D does anyway? It give you a magic user with a, on average, 2.5 hit points, and has a kobold stab at you over and over again with a spear that does, on average, 3.5 hit point of damage and you die at ZERO. DCC RPG is just being honest with that fact and institutionalizing a way to have your slaughter-fest and eat your cake too. Well, at least that is my take.

And there is something very attractive about a game where you could randomly roll up a character with a 3 Strength, a club, and cart full of dead bodies.   Yes - this is indeed a possibility.

In the playtest, I saw the game run and it was awesome, but I also know that Harley is a good enough GM to a make dog turd shine like a diamond. What happens if I try to run it? There are some major departures from standard D&D. Are these good or bad? I just don't know. I must play more to find out. :)

- Ark

4 comments:

  1. that is a very unamused face. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not buy a door from that door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And there is something very attractive about a game where you could randomly roll up a character with a 3 Strength, a club, and cart full of dead bodies. Yes - this is indeed a possibility

    Of all the blog reviews I have read, I think you just sold me with this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @zombie - I thought so too!

    @Brian - hmm, now I am imagining a traveling door-to-door salesman who is a door and who sales doors. I think my brain is indeed broken.

    @Grendelwulf - Can you imagine having to explain to the other party members why exactly it is you have a cart full corpses? And then what the heck do you do with it? Chum the dungeon?

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete