Tuesday, July 5, 2011

ゴジラ・モスラ・キングギドラ

Gojira, Mosura, Kingu Gidora: Daikaijū Sōkōgeki
The Boy and I just finished watching Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. His response was rather surprising. He liked it.

Several years ago, there was a marathon of old Godzilla movies.  I watched them, giddy as my six year old self ever was at watching giant lizards, moths, turtles, and three headed dragons beat the snot out of each other.  The Boy - around six at the time - turned up his nose big time.  Apparently, the monsters looked too stupid to live and he'd rather eat liver than be forced to watch.

Then tonight I stumbled on Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.  It came out in 2001, but I had never heard of it.  I was struck by how much it felt like the old monster movies of my youth.  This was definitely no Matthew Broderick style Godzilla, and it wasn't some stupid robot Godzilla thing (sorry Mechagodzilla fans, but I didn't like that movie at all.)  There were dudes in rubber suits, rinky-dink models of helicopters and destroyers, bad explosions, clearly out of scale flames coming from monsters and buildings, tons of senseless violence and death of innocent by-standers, and Godzilla was THE BAD GUY.  In short - it was glorious.

And what's more, the Boy whooped and hollered and cheered as the monsters battled it out as if he had been a pro-wrestling fan.  "Smash him!  Sling him around by the tail!  He'll never survive that.  OMG!  Mothra took a direct hit!  The missiles just bounce off!  He's only been resurrected two times so far Dad, not three - get it straight.  Mushroom cloud time!  They are fighting underwater!  When three heads shoot golden lighting at you, it's all over, buddy!"

There is some attempt at a story.  Apparently now Godzilla is the raging angry spirit of everyone killed by the Japanese Imperial Army during WWII.  Blah blah blah.  Whatever.  You can safely ignore any of that babble.  I mean, really, we are here to watch giant monsters destroy things and each other.  

I recommend the movie wholeheartedly.  Well - for the right sort of person.  You know who you are.

Of course, I got to thinking during the movie and wondered 'how the hell would I handle a Godzilla like monster in a regular D&D game?'  I am not shy about throwing high level monsters at low level players.  But freaking Godzilla?  If he decided to walk through the player's home town - well - it's more like a hurricane that an encounter. At most the party could piss him off - if he noticed at all.

I don't have any answers for that question - but I'd like to figure something out.  When the players end up shipwrecked on the Island of Irradiated Giant Monsters during sparring season, I need to have a plan. :)

- Ark

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard of this movie either. I'll be searching for it now.

    Godzilla in D&D, isn't that a Tarrasque? Godzilla is far cooler though.

    I think one monster crashing about in the civilized lands would be the way to go. Maybe the players could find a way to lure it away from cities (or toward enemy lands). It might also be fun to try and run it like a "Shadows of the Colossus" type encounter. Have the PCs trying to climb up the great beast, looking for a weak spot to strike at. Make it a struggle not to fall off as it lumbers about. In order to reach the head maybe they would have to provoke it into bending over, or ride it's hand while the magic-user tickled it's nose with magic?

    Hmm, that video game was hella fun, but I'm not sure if it would translate well to tabletop. Would probably be best just to introduce the creature and then riff off of whatever the players came up with. That's pretty much my solution to any DMing dilemma. They might even decide to try to awaken some second huge monster to fight Godzilla for them. That's bound to work out just fine, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way to stop the Great Kaiju is to find the doorway on the nape of his neck, travel through the perilous dungeon inside of him, and tear out the Heartstone.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Godzilla is a force of nature, treat him as such. That said, there are a few movies where he interacts directly with people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Have the PCs trying to climb up the great beast"

    That's a really neat idea. Now I want to run a Tarrasque-scenario. There are certainly worse thoughts to have planted in your head in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fight On! 10 has a nice minisetting with Godzilla and Mothra as local gods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Quibish - Yeah, I think the players would come up with for more interesting soluitons to a Godzilla attack than I.

    @Tedankhamen - I love your internal Godzilla dungeon solution and what to marry it! Very awesome indeed!

    @Harald - Yeah, Tedankhamen is on to something wonderful here, I think.

    @Anon - Oh my. Looks like I'll have to go get Fight On! 10.

    ReplyDelete