Sunday, July 31, 2011

Heroica

The Boy and I are sitting around the computer right now, listening to Spotify, singing "Tonight Tonight" along with Hot Chelle Rae as we look up pictures of Zak Galifinakis. We just got back from a three day weekend at the lake. I didn't catch a single fish, but the boy caught quite a few perch. That was okay, as I was feeling particularly Buddhistic and wasn't in the mood to jam a hook through a fish's jaw. I did breifly wonder if my poor little skewered worms were broken though.

The Boy picked up Heroica, which was the perfect alternative to sitting outside in the 110 degree weather. I have two words for you:

ENTRY DRUG.

Here in ten years we are going to see a lot of kids coming out of high school, rubbing the LEGO track marks on their arms, looking for a fix. If we in the OSR are prepared, all we need to do is wave a bag of dice and some minis at them - and they'll be hooked just like those perch the Boy was catching. Tru dat.

Heroica is a pretty fun game. I don't know why I didn't think of it when I was ten. You pick a character, you track your hit points, you get gold and can buy equipment, and you can slay the beasties. WoTC may not sue them, but TSR certainly would have. I like it a lot.

It got me thinking though. Why not just use LEGOs to map your D&D dungeons, rather than graph paper? Hmm. Perfect for fidgeting players. Might even be good for DMs. I think I'll try that.

:)

- Ark

5 comments:

  1. My young ones are totally hooked on Heroica. First D&D-like game where they really get the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone made some truly awesome Lego modular dungeon scenery. I'll need to try some google-Fu to see if I can find it again.

    If I didn't already have a collection of tokens, I would definitely go down the Heroica scale Lego route for dungeon mapping.

    - Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Risus - Yeah - I am really impressed by the rules. I welcome out new LEGO Overloards.

    @Neil - Modular - you say? Hmmm. Crap. Now I gotta do that! :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://gunth.com/brickquest/ was the site I was thinking of. Good old Google to the rescue!

    - Neil.

    ReplyDelete