Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vayniris Anthology Update


Two giraffes use peer pressure to try and convince
The Boy to spend his lunch money on Warhammer 40K minis.
I've been spending a lot of my time recently working on the Vayniris Anthology Project.  I'm pretty excited about it, and I think the end product will be a great collection of short stories.

For those who don't know, the project is an attempt to produce an 'Appendix N worthy' shared world anthology, set in a vast urban fantasy sprawl.  More information about it can be found in this post.  The deadline for submitting stories in December 31st, 2011.  This is a non-profit project, with all proceeds going to a children's charity - most likely Bryan's House. If you are interested in contributing, shoot me an email and I'll send you the guidelines.

I've been poking around, getting a feel for the cost of art for the book cover, and it makes my wallet want to run and hide.  Honestly, I'm not a great spender.  But I'd like to have a nice, spiff-o-riffic cover that entices people to buy the book and raise money for kids in need.  This has brought me to two different lines of thought.  1) Why not just ask people to donate art? or 2) Start up a Kickstarter project and raise any money I need that way.

So . . .

1) Probably wouldn't work.  I'm looking for something pretty specific in the cover art - something that would not be amiss on bookshelves in the sci-fi\fantasy section of B. Daltons or Waldenbooks back in 1981.  I'm not sure an artist donating their time and effort would put up with my picky-ness on the matter.  (But if somewhere out there is a masochist artist willing to put up with me, feel free to reply below or send me an email.)

2) Kickstarter - hmm.  Seems like a magical well where people go and scoop up money for free.  I'm sure there is some catch, but I haven't looked very far into the process.  I'm pretty sure that even a vague amount of interest could generate enough cash to pay for cover art - but do I have to sell my soul?  Heck, it could potentially get enough cash to publish in some manner other than Lulu.  If anyone has experience in using Kickstarter - let me know your experiences, good or bad.

The more I think about this project, the better I want it to do - I want excellent stories that people will love to read, an excellent framework that will showcase the author's work in the best possible light, a kicking cover that evokes exactly the right mood, and a final product that can go beyond the confines of the OSR and really make some money for the kiddos.

So, anyway, I'm scratching my head at logistics here.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Ark

3 comments:

  1. Friggin' giraffes! Just say "no" to 40K and space orks!



    I'd say get the stories first, request some interior illustrations* that accompany the text, choose from amongst those as a guide for the cover art and go from there, if you don't have a specific idea for the piece.

    Sounds like you do though.

    Vayniris is the de facto 'star' here, so focus on the skyline/particular buildings/cityscape could be key.

    Are you looking for an image that says 'old school' via the cover art of that era of ACE/DAW Books, or looking for a cover that evokes Vayniris in a late 70's, early 80's fantasy art way?

    *Illustrations and a map!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to update you back Arkhein: I'm working away on the first draft of the story. I have a few niggling things that arn't quite working for me that I need to change. Hopefully though, you should have the first draft in another week to ten days or so. Just as soon as I figure out exactly what it is thats niggling on my "not quite right" button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @biopunk - yeah, I've got time, so perhaps I should let some more stories roll in to give me ideas. But yes, the cityscape would be the main feature. I'm looking for a new piece that would evoke the scifi/fantasy art of the era, rather than exact pieces or a copy. Old and modern. Borrow and blue. You know. :)

    @Brian - Thanks for the update. Keep on chugging! :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete