Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dungeonspiration: Thinking

I was toying with dropping this column at the start of the year, but due to some kind words from readers, I chose not to, and instead just slow it down to every other week.  We'll see.  I enjoy writing the articles.  I enjoy thinking about writing the articles.  But there is the problem - my thinking is gone all different recently.

Drawing is to blame - I'm sure.  I've been drawing a lot over the past few months - rekindling my love for making pictures - which was in it's height decades ago when I was first playing D&D.  Drawing uses vastly different parts of the brain that than a lot of different activities - oh - such as thinking in words about words you are going to type out in a blog.

It's been somewhat difficult to rectify the two - writing muscle and drawing muscle.  These images take me away from my standby form of communication.  But it's not that I'm idle.  I don't -not- think about gaming and blogging.  I just - I guess I just think about it visually.  It's been hard translate.  I guess that's the word.  One part of my brain has a tough time talking to another part of my brain.

But something interesting has been happening.  When I sit down and play D&D or Stars Without Numbers or Pathfinder or whatever, my imagination has become more vivid.  I see the game very vividly - maybe even more vividly that when I was a young pimpled punk clutching the blue Holmes and dreaming.  Even the bane of my imagination - mini skirmishes in Pathfinder - play in my mind in technicolor - not just on the gaming mat.

As I read stories now - the images in my head are wonderful.  I'm so happy that this has coincided with the Vayniris Anthology Project.  I've been reading the entries and hoo-boy - the descriptive power of these great authors is giving me some excellent TV in my head.  (Thanks guys, btw.)  

It's all very inspiring to me.  I want to be more descriptive in games - fill other players with wonderful pictures - not just as a DM - but as a fellow player.  I just kinda have to relearn how to connect both parts of my brain.  Perhaps some duct tape will help.

So, I don't know if this is inspiring or helpful at all - but here it is.  Oh, and before I go - I fixed up a progress sheet for Little Miss Skyrim up there, in case any of you are interested in the artistic process of some old dude who can't draw as well as he wants to, but is sure enough trying:



Have a wonderful day.

- Ark

6 comments:

  1. Nice Ark. I like to see the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally Ark, I reckon your art is pretty damn cool. I'd like to see more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tim - Thanks. I find the process breakdown of other's fascinating, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I wonder if the same idea transfers from drawing to, oh, say, adventure module development?

    @Brian - Thank you kindly. The longer I stare at something I've done, the more problems I can find with it. Of course, the artist/writer is his/her own worst/best critic. :) I will definitely post more art as share-worthy stuff becomes available.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are still doing hour blog. I really appreciate your talents...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. At what point do you scan? Also, what coloring program do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Al - Don't worry. I was referring to the Dungeoninspiration column, not the blog itself. No - I'll be doing the blog in one way or another till I'm too old to type.

    @Orc - I've tried a lot of different variations - even just this week. This particular piece I scanned after the pencils, and then did the 'inks' on the computer. I use Photoshop and a Wacom tablet for inking and coloring.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete