Tuesday, April 24, 2012

SciFiSwag


Two things came in the mail today - a MegaTraveller Referee's Manual and Tomorrow's War.  Yay!

I grabbed the MegaTraveller Ref Guide, not because I want to play it, but for its starship building rules.  I remember using those rules to design ships was the funnest thing about the game itself.  I'm playing Stars Without Number nowadays, and while the abstracted ship building rules are great and simple - they lack some meat.  The players have been wondering about their starship, layouts and stuff, so I think this old book will help me.  It may also give me some ideas for creating a more in-depth ship building system for SWN itself.

Tomorrow's War was kind of a fluke.  I stumbled upon in while on Amazon.  I was very fascinated by the description of it.  It's more of a hard sci-fi wargame, as opposed to the 40K stuff.  It's relatively new, got great reviews, made by Osprey/Ambush Alley, and was only like 23 bucks.  I . . . I impulse bought.  Yeah.  But man, it's in my grubby little hands now and I'm pumped about playing it sometime.  PYOO PYOO!

So I got some reading to do.  Like I have time.  LOL.

- Ark





7 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Looking forward to hearing more about your SWN sessions! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. A lot has happened in the SWN game that I haven't posted about, but my initial feeling is that no one is interested except the actual people playing the game. Guess I'm wrong? :)

      - Ark

      Delete
  2. Well I for one am very interested. :). I'm hoping to start an SWN campaign soon myself. Are most of your adventures home brewed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bill - Except for that one module, all of my adventures are home brewed. A sandbox game where characters have high mobility is a bit harder to prep for - and you have to think on your feet a lot more, but that's the way I prefer it. Kevin Crawford has a great world generation system that helps a lot.

      Traveller's system bult pretty cool places - but frankly, a lot of the information you generated was completely useless. In SWN, world generation is actually adventure seed generation. Who cares about the specific gravity or diameter of a planetoid? I mean, you can make it up on the spot that up if you really need it. The important bits about a new world or system are 1) how can the PCs cause trouble, 2) who is going to be mad at them, and 3) how much firepower will these new enemies bring to bear? :)

      You roll up a sector, seed up the worlds, and POOF. Magic. Players want to spent their layover on a planet adventuring rather than locked in cold storage? Okay, look at the planet record you created and adventure ideas just ooze out. It's a fun way to fly by the seat of your pants..

      I wish you luck with your SWN campaign, and I'll be posting more about mine soon.

      - Ark

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the detailed response. I agree with you. Good Gaming!

      Delete
  3. If you like the ideas in Tomorrow's War, it may be worth checking out Star Grunt II as well for more ideas. Very interested to see how you like it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lasgunpacker - You know, I saw Star Grunt II referenced in the reviews, but don't know anything about it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

      - Ark

      Delete