Monday, June 11, 2012

NTRPG Con 2012 Loot


This year at NTRPGCON I was much more selective in my purchases, and significantly poorer, so they balanced one another out.  What I got away with was:

  • The Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game with the Limited-Edition Gold Foil Cover:  Squee!  I missed out on the pre-order, so I thought I'd miss out on this too, but it was sitting there at registration beckoning me.  Looking at the beta test materials last year, I knew I wanted this for the art alone, even if the game sucked.  However, I got to play it at last year's con with Harley Stroh, so I knew it was an awesome game.
  • Doom of the Savage King: Dungeon Crawl Classics module #66.5, by Harley Stroh.  This came in the big old black and gold telephone book for free - and isn't supposed to be available elsewhere.
  • The Adventurer Conqueror King System: This is the hardback.  Honestly, I wasn't planning on buying this.  But I saw it and, well, yeah.  It's such a pretty book with awesome art inside.  And and and . . . yeah.  I'm just an OSR slut.  Anyone want to play ACKS?
  • Spelljammer: Since Crazy-Ass Tim has turned our Second Edition AD&D game into a Spelljammer game, I figured - why not?  I might as well know something about the system.  This is the full original boxed set.  The dealer crammed in some other Spelljammer related material into the box as well, including Greyspace, so the thing was pretty damn well packed with stuff.
  • Hel:  I also picked up a print of Hel, from Diesel LaForce's Kickstarter project where he is redoing his old TSR work from Deities and Demigods, similar to what Jeff Dee is doing.  There is a little story with this that wouldn't be right to tell, I don't think, so I'll just keep my mouth shut and gloat all by myself.  If you see me smirking one day, it's probably about this.
  • B1 & S3:  Diesel LaForce had a box of old TSR stuff under his table that I saw and began to dig through.  Search of the Unknown and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks were both inside.  I lost my copies long ago, and had been looking for affordable copies.  They were both well worn, annotated, and cheap.  Now I'm beginning to wonder - was that Diesel's personal stash of old beat up TSR stuff he was getting rid of?  Crap.  I didn't even get him to sign them!
  • EPT Swag: When Doctor Victor Raymond ran us through the Empire of the Petal Throne game on Friday night, he gave us several handouts afterwards.  Lots of neat stuff.  But the kicker was a beautiful two sided, full color poster map of Tékumel.  It's completely awesome an Dr. Raymond is a very generous guy.
So, that's my fifth post about the con and I suppose I should give it a rest for at least a bit.  

I'd like to thank Doug and Mike and all the other staff and special guests for pulling off an amazing convention.  Oh, and the gamers too.  There was a complete absence of fuktards.  How many places can you say the same thing about?


- Ark

5 comments:

  1. Aw man, I miss Spelljammer. I wonder where my books are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Orion - You books are behind your couch, along withe 42 unmatched socks.

      - Ark

      Delete
  2. We loved having you and the boy at the con....see you next year! Now I'm sad I missed that pile of goodies under Diesel's table.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @BadMike - Thanks - the con was great. I really can't imagine having a better time at a con. I suppose I should try, though, since I'm sure next year will be even better. :)

      - Ark

      Delete