Sunday, July 1, 2012

Hobbit Doodles

The Boy and I have been listening to The Hobbit on audiobook this last week.  Audiobooks are nice since they keep my hands and eyes free - so I can doodle and take notes.  It's been probably thirty years since I read The Hobbit, and I am amazed about what I've forgotten.  I had no recollection of The Dungeon of the Necromancer, the Dwarves casting spells to hide their loot, or the Wood Elf tribes never having 'went to fairy' in their ancient past, thus not being as wise and magical as their high elf cousins.  Funny how that works.

Anyway, below are some horrific doodles and chicken-scratch notes.  Enjoy if you can.

- Ark


  1. Nice.

    Have you experimented with adding more dimensionality to the faces? Is the flat circular nature of the drawings intentional?

    1. @-C - You know - interesting you caught that. I've been having a lot of trouble with faces and heads lately. I've been struggling with the geometry of them - seeing them in my head from different angles. Sure, I can use a ref - but I'd like to be able to be able to just spit it out straight from my head - so part of this lazy doodle exercise was to fiddle around with circles and adjust them a bit to see the faces that came out. So, flat circles are intentional, but they are kinda supposed to grow into something more 3D as I go.

      I keep thinking I'm missing something big - something I can see artists do easily - and when I copy styles and use references, it looks okay. But just straight outta me without trying to copy something else, I'm missing something. It's dreadfully obvious that it's lacking, I just haven't put my finger exactly what it is yet.

      - Ark