Thursday, August 9, 2012

Picking Up the Pieces

The bout of pneumonia I recently had was kind of like a reboot - physically and mentally.  I had been feeling really frazzled, and was going to use my vacation as a time to reflect, meditate, have fun, recharge, and just basically figure out what the hell was wrong and get on a better track.

Three weeks of stabbing lung pain, hallucinations, and a seething, unexplained anger later, I was finally recovering slowly.  But in some ways, I felt better than I did before I left for vacation.  All of those little projects, those plans, those things I do on a regular basis - I just tossed them aside - not just put on the back burner - but cancelled indefinitely in my mind.

That's one heck of a load off.

I've been mentally focusing on the core things - the really important things - family and such - and putting the other things into their proper perspective.  It's been a pretty freeing exercise.

I've been adding things slowly back.  Simple, small things.  Reading Tolkien, for instance.  The pneumonia interrupted my jaunt through Middle Earth.

Letting my mind run free in the lands of J. R. R. Tolkien has been great.  No expectations - no projects - no end result.  Just getting to know the paths of the Shire again, so to speak.  Very nice.

Then I look at gaming.  Either DMing or playing - it takes a lot of work and effort.  I miss it and my gaming group greatly - but I wonder when I'll be ready to put it back into my repertoire   I mean, seriously - I went up to the game store last weekend and played an hour and a half of card games.  Those 90 minutes completely wiped me out - mentally and physically.  How am I supposed to do a 4 to 6 hour role playing session?

It worries me.  I feel old.

Well, enough staring into my navel.  How about something positive?  Drawing had been frustrating me, so I remembered to do some exercises that have helped out a lot in the past.  It's called gesture drawing, in which you basically give yourself between 30 seconds and 2 minutes to capture a pose.  I've been doing it a lot recently, and am pretty happy with the results.

Below are the last three gesture drawing I've done - each at the two minute mark, and I think they are the best ones I've ever completed.  Okay, yeah, there are some proportion issues - but that's not what's important in this kind of exercise.  We're looking for movement, action, and direction - all done as quickly as possible.

Hmm - maybe I just need the equivalent of D&D rehab.  I'll just sit here and roll dice for a while and see if I can strengthen my crit muscle.  ;)
 



- Ark

2 comments:

  1. Nice lines.

    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another vote for the RPG Retirement Center.

    ReplyDelete