Saturday, March 23, 2013

Polly, Patron Saint of Elven Barmaids

Polly is the patron saint of elven barmaids and tavern workers.  While the petty goddess has no formal churches, her presence can be seen in mysterious glowing tip jars in pubs all across the land.  Adherents of Saint Polly offer fifteen percent of their tips into the jars, which disappear in a a flash of light.

Unlike some gods, Polly offers excellent service for her tithes.  When a bar gets too crowded and busy for her worshipers to handle, Polly has been known to appear lugging beer and pretzels to the customers.  Many a hung-over patron swears they here brought beer by a goddess the night before, but few realize the accuracy of their statement.

It is not wise to cross Polly, however.  Patrons who stiff her worshipers  or are stingy with a tip, will find themselves rolled in the nearest alley on their way home and completely free of coins, jewels, and jewelry.

(Okay, so I finished the illustration and a brief write up - I just need some stats I guess and I can submit it to Gorgonmilk.  Yay!)

- Ark

15 comments:

  1. Nice pic :)

    I see what Polly does if someone stiffs one of her followers (I'd also include being rude, fresh, or snapping your fingers at a barmaid as other ways to piss her off), what does she do if one of her followers displeases her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point. For rudeness and the like, maybe a good dose of food poisoning. Or waking up in the middle of the street wearing a diaper and bonnet.

      For her followers - hmm. Perhaps they get only asshole customers who don't tip. For a month. Or longer, depending on the gravity of the offense. :)

      - Ark

      Delete
  2. LOL. An awesome and essential deity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to have her as a mini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - my sculpting skills are below par. If I recall - Reaper has a batch of buxom barmaids in their Townfolk pack - but I don't think their outfits are as lively as Polly's.

      If anyone out there wants to sculpt up a green for Anne based on Polly - they are more than welcome to. :)

      Or . . . if a bonafide company wants to do a sculpt and mass produce Pollys, write me. I'm easy. ;)

      - Ark

      Delete
  4. Nice inks - very clean and tight style. She definitely looks good, and I like your comment. I need to get working on my entry too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comment, I mean details about the goddess - sheesh - I've been on the computer too long - I can feel my brain cells dying...

      Delete
    2. Thanks, DoS. A dirty and loose style just wouldn't have done for Polly. ;)

      - Ark

      Delete
    3. Maybe if you drew a bar hag goddess - their Valhalla would be Wisconsin

      Delete
  5. Hey there! Sorry to hijack your post, but unfortunately i couldn't find your Email-address on the blog.

    I just started a new blog about Stars without Number, called xeno allergies. Wold you mind adding me to your SWN jumpgate (http://rathergamey.blogspot.de/p/stars-without-number.html)? On the blog you will find sessions reports, maps and miscellaneous thoughts about Sci-Fi rpgs.

    You can reach me via boardai@web.de!

    http://xenoallergies.wordpress.com/

    p.s. very cleanly done, great pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boardai - Cool blog. You are on the list now!

      - Ark

      Delete
    2. Great, thanks for the quick response.

      Delete
  6. More like the Patron of the patrons of elven barmaids. I see who my next character will be devoted to, and I'm sure it has nothing to do with any posters I ever had on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good! I'm working on my Petty God tonight!

    ReplyDelete