Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Next Goddess Cosplay


In case you were wondering where I was going with the last scans of the petty goddess drawing - well - here is a better idea.  Surprise! She's Gorgon-riffic! Not quite done with the pencils - but my fingers hurt at the moment from drawing all of those scales.  This is still just the pencil sketch.

For those who are interested - what I am actually drawing looks little like the above image.  I'm not drawing with a #2 pencil on manila paper or anything.  This is just a scan of the sketch run though a filter in Photoshop so you can see it.  What it actually looks like is this:


That's a lot harder to make out on some computer screens.  Why?  I'm using a pencil that is designed to not copy or photograph well - a Non-Photo pencil.  The official name is:

Prismacolor COL-ERASE 20028 Copy not NP Blue

That's a mouthful. :)  It's meant for sketching so that you can lay down ink over it and not have to erase since, in theory, it is a color that graphic arts cameras cannot detect.  It these days of Photoshop and layers, these pencils don't get much love.  But I love them.  Smooch smooch smooch.  I am a heavy handed drawer, and sketching with a regular pencil involves a lot of erasing and my hand drags though the graphite and I smear everything and it the paper - and my hands - end up a piggy mess by the time I am done.  The NP Blue pencils draw very lightly, don't smear and only barely smudge, and don't leave me looking like a preschooler on art day.

So, anyway, welcome to my world.  There are pencil shavings everywhere.

- Ark

8 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I keep thinking she has freckles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Freckles. Freckles it is, then!

      - Ark

      Delete
  2. I like where this is going Ark. It's funny Lloyd should say that, but yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's that upturned nose. Screams freckles.

      Delete
    2. Ii'll have to note that down in my book of artistic rules, Gorgonmilk. Upturned nose = freckles. :)

      - Ark

      Delete