Friday, August 2, 2013

Shadowrun the Fifth

Soooo . . . the guys have playing that new Shadowrun video game and are hungry for some Shadowrun role play.  I wasn't real happy with 4th edition.  Don't get me wrong - I love love love the Shadowrun universe.  But the mechanics were a pain in the ass.  Fifth is coming out - and they have some Quick Start Rules up for it, so I said what the heck, I'll run it for them - most have never played before - and we'll see if it is worthy.

I haven't finished reading the QSR yet and I'm already . . . gritting my teeth.  Despite a rules overhaul, it still looks like we are tossing around anywhere between ten to twenty six-sided dice bombs for offensive actions AND defense of said actions.  Not my favorite part of the game.

To top it off, the intro adventure . . . geez . . . where to begin.  Okay, so obviously the guy who wrote  the thing and the guy who drew the map for the adventure didn't talk.  The map - and it's a map of a fast food restaurant - doesn't match of with the descriptions.  Heck, if the map had even a vague resemblance to a fast food joint, that would help.  But it doesn't.  Why is the food prep area in the middle of the frikkin room like a Benihana?  Surely a Shadowrun McDonald's would NEVER want the customers to know what they are actually eating?  And the bathrooms are big enough to store school buses in.  Arrrghhh!

(Deep breaths, deep breaths.  Relax, Ark.)

So, I'm trying to stop myself from going out and dropping 200 bucks on GURPS books and tweak it's knobs until I can run Shadowrun RIGHT.  Okay, I don't' have 200 bucks, so that fixes that.

But I'll run the QSR alright, dammit.  And we'll see how it goes.  Who knows - maybe I'm over-reacting and everyone will love it.  :)

- Ark

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to Shadowrun, and I haven't read the adventure, because I'm going to be a player in it.

    "Despite a rules overhaul, it still looks like we are tossing around anywhere between ten to twenty six-sided dice bombs for offensive actions AND defense of said actions."

    That seems a lot. I was wondering if I should buy blank dice and draw a X or something on one side.

    "Why is the food prep area in the middle of the frikkin room like a Benihana?"
    Unless it meantions that, it sells burgers, maybe asian fastfood restaurants are polular (there were more ramen bars than McDonalds in Blade runner :p).

    "And the bathrooms are big enough to store school buses in. Arrrghhh!"
    Because it's overpopulated future ^^'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I can't stand this anymore. I'm turning the car around and going home. SR 5e is . . . ugh . . . I give up. 

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete