Monday, December 9, 2013

Gods - Not Officers, Cash, nor Tom


Due to the winter storm that turned North Texas into an skating rink, I had some time to work on a piece for Gorgonmilk's Petty Gods project.  Everybody - this is Galishma.  Galishma - this is everybody.  Galishma is the goddess of the darkness under bridges and the disposing of murdered bodies, so I hear.  And maybe ice cream.

I've been drawing a lot for the last few months - but nothing for public consumption.  Lots of work on structure.  A lot less fun than churning out goddesses, but really, really needed.  A site called Pencil Kings has a great month long (free) figure drawing course by an artist called Sycra, and I recommend it highly.

Since I've been working in pencil and paper exclusively, I was a bit nervous to jump back into digital - but I needed to since I don't ink in the real universe yet.  I think the dread was more about Photoshop than anything else, so on a whim, I tried out Autodesk Sketchbook Pro.  I like it a lot.

Sketchbook makes it very clear why Photoshop is named Photoshop - it's for photos first, not for drawing.  Sketchbook is for sketching (duh) and drawing.  Painting too.  The image above is the first picture I've drawn with the program - and I'm pretty impressed.  The brushes are all easy to use and flow smoothly.  I can draw straight lines and shapes without a lot of clicking and button holding.  Everything related to drawing is just a heck of a lot easier.

I still prefer Photoshop's canvas rotating - it's much more smooth than Sketchbook's.  And Sketchbook seems to chew up a lot more memory than I think it should - but still nothing compared to Photoshop.  And, of course, all your fancy filters are not available.  But you can save files in *.PSD format to do Photoshop fiddling with your layers intact.

So maybe over Christmas break I can finish Galishma, and that will be drawing #6 for the book.  Yay!

- Ark

1 comment:

  1. Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished Galishma and to rad about her too.

    Very nice and thanks for the heads up and link to Pencil Kings!

    ReplyDelete