Saturday, February 22, 2014

D&D Books

Coffee shop patron in a small Texas town.
The D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge

Day 22: First D&D-based novel you ever read.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight was the first D&D novel I read.  My mother had read Quag Keep years before, but her description of it never interested me enough to pick that one up.  I immediately fell in love with the world of Dragonlance.  Fizban was awesome, and even the Kender couldn't sway my interest.

I even remember fretting all summer long (1985) over the sickeningly sappy love triangle, waiting eagerly for Dragons of Spring Dawning to come out.

Then there was the series that went back in time - which was kind of interesting.  But all the stuff that was printed after that - meh.

A year or two ago I went back and read Dragons of Autumn Twilight again.  Nostalgic, yes, but it definitely fits into that whole YA thing, and doesn't really lift it's chin above that pigeon-hole.

The Boy loved the series - that's all that matters. :)

- Ark


  1. I remember loving the Dragonlance series. Even had a poster of when Dragons of Twilight was coming out. I like the second trilogy that came out that dealt with the brothers, Rastlin ends up being a god or something like that in the end, but after that I lost interest.

    1. I completely lost interest when they came out with the Sweet Kender Valley High books - about the two twin Kender girls and their high-jinx at high school.

      Or maybe that didn't happen and it was only a dream . . . :)

      - Ark