Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fezzes are Cool

Merlin never looked so suave.
Welcome to the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge!

Day 2: First person who you introduced to D&D.  Which edition?  Their first character?

So from the last post, my introduction to D&D wasn't incredibly informative.  But I was in love with the idea of what Dungeons and Dragons might be, so I acquired the Blue Box from the book store in the mall and dove in.

I guess you could more accurately say that Doctor John Eric Holmes introduced me to D&D.  It was his words that flowed into my brain, telling me finally, really, exactly what D&D was.

After perusing the blue box rules, I decided the game was definitely something I should be doing.  I arranged a sleepover with my friend Chris, determined that we could figure the whole thing out.

Hats.  We were sure hats were an important part of the D&D experience.  After all - every hero in the blue book was in a hat, right?  So he both made wizard hats out of construction paper and tape. You have to have your priorities straight - right?  Then we sat on the floor in his room.

Chris rolled up a character, and I began to DM - and play D&D - for the very first time.

Honestly, I have no recollection of what his first character was.  There were a lot of them.  And a lot of death.  Glorious, limb rending, flesh melting death.

Can life be any more enjoyable than that?  I think not.

- Ark

No comments:

Post a Comment