Saturday, February 1, 2014

First One's Free

Dude Whose Name I Can't Remember
Welcome to my first entry in the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge!

So here is the first topic:

Day 1 : First person who introduced you to D&D.  Which Edition?  Your first character?

I don't remember the name of the guy who introduced me to D&D.  It was back in 5th grade, and he came into class clutching a freshly minted copy of Deities and Demigods.  Yeah, the version with Elric and Fafhrd and the whole gang.

My best friend Chris was in the same class, and we kind of knew the guy, but he was a self-important ass.  He was very much the Major Charles Emerson Winchester the Third to our Hawkeye and B.J. Hunnicutt.  However, I was absoluelty facinated by the book and convinced him to let me take it home to read.

I had no real idea what D&D was - and the book certainly had no explanation as how to play.  But here were gods and goddesses and mythical beasts all transcribed into some sort of classfication system that enabled combat between them.  Wow.

That night I sat down and began writing a game around what I thought the book was about.  I figured the game was something like chess, and each character had different moves on a chess board and dice were used to determine which piece won a battle.  I refer to that game now as 'God Chess.'

Eventually I learned more about D&D, but this was my murky and confused introduction.  :)

Oh, my first character?  Zeus, of course.

- Ark

No comments:

Post a Comment