Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Gemini @ Saturn

The D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge rolls on . .

Day 12: First store where you bought your gaming supplies.  Does it still exist?

I found my first fix of D&D at a Waldenbooks in a mall in Clear Lake, Texas.  There was this spinny rack thing with all sorts of books and modules.  I remember it well, and made many, many trips back.

But no, I don't think Waldenbooks exist anymore.

As an aside - at the time, I lived in an apartment behind Mission Control - you know 'Houston, we have a problem.'  Yeah, that place - at the corner of Saturn Lane and Gemini Street.  Some guys from NASA come to our school when Voyager 1 was at Saturn and showed us raw video of the pictures beaming back.  Then, some NASA scientists organized a summer school class to teach us programming.  In 1981.  I wrote a character generator - of course. :)

- Ark

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of us had Waldenbooks as our first game store.