Thursday, February 20, 2014

It's a Secret

He really wasn't this sad.  The sketch just turned out that way.
The D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge

Day 20: First non-D&D RPG you played.

While I am pretty sure I bought Gamma World before Top Secret, we actually got in a Top Secret game before the mutant-fest began.

As a kid, I really enjoyed James Bond movies, history, weaponry, geography, politics, and foreign languages and cultures - so Top Secret was perfect.  I loved the name of the first module - Sprechenhaltestelle and enjoyed the name of the game author so much that Merle M. Rasmussen became the name of the agent's handler at the bureau.  Oh - and the percentile dice.  I loved them.  The system - to me at least - made so much more sense than the whole polyhedral thing going on with Dungeons and Dragons.

Interestingly, I never got the Top Secret Companion with its rule changes.  Even when I purchased Top Secret/SI - I just didn't like the rules revamp.  I liked the original rules written for the original boxed set.  As far as I was concerned, they were perfect for the types of games I was running - and I ran Top Secret Games from 1981 till 1987.

Gamma World, on the other hand, didn't make sense to me at all.  Hated it.  It was just completely crazy and non-sequitur.  Of course, it was that way by design - and if I had met Jim Ward back then, it would have clicked. :)

- Ark

No comments:

Post a Comment